I realize that you might find the following statement disgusting, or even tragic, yet it is my reality and I can no longer feel ashamed:
I started out in the tax business banging out “short forms” (standard deduction) for $40 a piece.
And for some clients, $40 felt like too much to pay and definitely not a good deal.
- Client would say, “What?? Your Dad charged me $30 last year.” (Subtext: And we all know your Dad is a lot smarter than you, right?)
- would say, “Oh, OK, then I guess $30 would be OK? I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”
After a few weeks of making minimum wage, however, I decided I didn’t really want to be barely able to pay my rent while getting bullied by every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the City of Los Angeles while working 12 hour days and getting stuck in multiple hours of traffic every day back-and-forth to the office.
Thus began a 20-year journey to learn how to handle “price objections” from tax preparation clients, i.e. help tax prep clients pay more than they paid last year and be happy with that because you’re happy with my service.
In case you might have any clients who might be complaining about your prices as we finish up these 2022 tax returns that are on extension, here are 3 “one liner” comebacks that might come in handy:
- “If I wasn’t available year-round in case you have any questions or problems, I could do it for less.”
- “Being that I’ve saved you ABC Amount of Money with my expertise, I feel like the XYZ Amount of Money you’re paying me is a great investment.”
- “You might be able to get it done cheaper somewhere else.”
If you want to serve your clients with more confidence, feel more appreciated by your clients, and make more money for yourself, we’d love to help you enjoy all those good things.
And that’s why all of our best-selling update & refresher continuing education courses are now completely updated for tax year 2023, and that’s why all of our courses seek to enhance our Members’ business acumen and earning power, rather than merely pumping you full of technical tax info (although we do that too!)
- Existing Pronto Members, you can log in here and get started on your CE / CPE courses anytime (be aware of upcoming deadlines!)
- Not Yet Pronto Members, click here to join the festivities. Once you click the “buy now” button on that page, our system will prompt you to choose your credential, and that will ensure that you get into the right courses that are designed and approved for your particular credential.
Pronto Tax School is approved to provide continuing education credits for tax preparers, CTEC tax preparers, IRS AFSP tax preparers, Enrolled Agents, and CPA’s.
We want to make your continuing education:
- Actually RELEVANT to your REAL LIFE as a working tax professional.
- Not more boring than watching paint dry.
Also, can you send me YOUR best “one liner” response when a client complains about your price? I’m always looking for new material 🙂