Pronto Tax School

What to Do After You Complete Your 60 Hour CTEC Course

If you’re visiting this page, it’s probably because you’ve completed your 60 hour CTEC basic income tax course–if that’s the case, congratulations!

But now you’re probably thinking to yourself…what do I do now?

Don’t worry about a thing, just read these directions below so that you’ll have a smooth and easy process after completing your 60 hour CTEC course, we have all the steps laid out for you right here in this blog post!

(*Please note that these directions will be helpful to you no matter if you used Pronto Tax School, Inc. as your education provider or not.)

Complete 60 Hour CTEC Course

Well first of all you need to complete the 60 hour course.  This course is a requirement for working as a professional tax preparer in California.  You can take the 60 hour CTEC course online and it must be provided by an education provider that’s approved by the California Tax Education Council, such as Pronto Tax School, Inc.

Keep the Certificate of Completion for the course for your records.  However, you do not need to mail the Certificate to anyone, as the hours reporting to CTEC is done electronically.

Make Sure Your Education Provider Has the Last Six Digits of Your Social Security Number

CTEC uses the last six digits of your Social Security number to “credit” your 60 hours and create your CTEC Identification Number.

If Pronto Tax School, Inc. is your education provider, you have instructions at the beginning of your course about how to input your last six digits of your Social Security Number into the “My Account” section of our system.  As long as that information is in our system before you complete the course, we will report your 60 hours ASAP through our provider account at CTEC.  Please allow 24 hours for the hours to be reported (although typically it’s faster).

If you did not input your last six digits of your Social before course completion, just create a customer service ticket on our system and send the last six digits of your Social in that ticket, so that we can report your hours immediately; we will send you a confirmation once those hours are reported.

Get Your PTIN at

The Internal Revenue Service issues every tax professional an “ID number” called a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN).  You can go online to and apply for your PTIN.  Typically it’s very easy and fast to get a PTIN and, again, you can do that right here at

Get Your Tax Preparer Bond

Every California tax preparer is required to have a $5,000 surety bond.  No this bond does not cost $5,000, rather it provides $5,000 worth of protection to the public if you cause some harm to the public by your actions as a professional tax preparer.

We have set up a special deal for our Pronto Tax School Members to get a 3 year tax preparer bond for only $50.  Contact Mark and his team at State Farm, they take great care of our Members who need tax preparer bonds.  Mention Pronto to make sure you get the best deal.

Call (323) 722-8841 and ask for either Mark or Norma, they will hook you up with the tax preparer bond.

Register with CTEC

OK so now you have your course completion Certificate, your hours have been reported to CTEC under the last six digits of your Social Security Number, you have a PTIN, and you have your tax preparer bond that you got from Mark and his team at State Farm.

You’re officially ready to register with the California Tax Education Council (CTEC)!

To register, simply go to and click the “Tax Professionals” button and follow directions from there.  CTEC does a pretty good job of keeping a simple process.

Once you pay your registration fee with CTEC, you’ll receive a CTEC ID.

Note: CTEC Uses a “fiscal year” of November 1 – October 31 

This means that if you register with CTEC before October 31, you’ll need to take the annual 20 hour CTEC course, and then renew your registration before October 31.

In our opinion, you should be taking the 20 hour CTEC course anyways, so that you have all the most recent tax updates.  Nevertheless, we do want to be clear that if you register before October 31, you’ll need to renew your registration by October 31.  Whereas if you wait to register until November 1, your registration will be good until October 31 of the following year.

If you want to verify any of these rules with CTEC itself, please visit and you’ll see their contact info there.

If You Plan to Work Self-Employed, Get Your EFIN

An Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) is required to electronically file tax returns to the IRS.  And nowadays, electronic filing is required for any tax professional who files 10 or more tax returns per year.

If you’ll be working at a company, you’ll use the company’s EFIN to e-file.  If you want to work on your own, you’ll need to apply for your own EFIN.

If it’s anytime close to tax season, you should apply for your EFIN immediately because it takes 45-60 days for IRS to approve it.

If You Plan to Work Self-Employed, Get Your Discounted Tax Software

Speaking of working on your own, if you need high-quality, super-affordable tax software, we have an exclusive discount on the best tax software for beginner-to-intermediate tax professionals.

We have a limited number of licenses at this pricing and we sell out every year.

Here are the details on our exclusive tax software deal and you can also download a demo version of the software at this link, to test it out.

If You Plan to Work Self-Employed, Let’s Talk about Pronto Tax Opportunity, LLC

If you want to work for yourself as a self-employed tax professional, email describing what success looks like for you.  We have helped dozens of people start and grow their own tax businesses.  Email prontotaxbiz@gmail to start the conversation and see if you could be a good fit for our affordable, powerful tax business start up training and support program.

Need Your 20 Hour CTEC Course?

Last but not least just keep in mind that if you registered with CTEC for the first time before October 31, you need to do your 20 hour CTEC course before October 31, and then renew your registration for the “new” year of November 1 – October 31.  Because remember, CTEC uses a fiscal year, not a calendar year.  Is this confusing?

Welcome to the wonderful world of taxes!

Might as well learn to pay attention now because you’re going to need that skill every day from here on out.

The good news is, by completing your 60 hour CTEC course and following these detailed directions above, you have PROVEN that you have what it takes to pay enough attention to be a true tax pro.

Once again, congrats to you!!!

If you have further questions, always feel free to send us a message or call the Tax Education Hotline (310) 422 – 1283.  Don’t forget to check out the other training programs we have at  We would love to be a resource for you as you continue your journey as a professional tax preparer.

Also Related:
What to Do After You Complete Your 60 Hour CTEC Course
Scroll to top